Featured Post

New website! New blog!

We are excited to launch a new home on the web for Flux School of Human Movement! Check out our new website right here  (same URL as befor...

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Why we train lifts with tempo

I came across this study on training with tempo on OPT's website.

The following is OPT's synopsis of the study as well as OPT's further explanation on the importance of tempo.


Nice Andrew Charniga Jr translation of a study on tempo for beginner lifters (0-2 years trained weightlifters) - 2.5 sec tempo I believe referred to the total time it took to do 1 rep; something like 2 sec down, 0.5 sec up is what I'd guess - interesting to note there were differences seen even from 2 sec to 2.5 sec to 3 sec in tempo. As with tempo, there are many reasons to have speed associated with lifts - for 1. control, 2. test/re-test, 3. pick on weaknesses in movement, 4. establish a hormonal response based on the tempo given, 5. elicit more or less potential of muscle fibre activation based on concentric prescription....and more (which are covered completely in OPT CCP Assessment)...as well as sometimes when speed should NOT be associated with lifts.

1 comment:

  1. I admit, the challenge of the tempo is letting go of ego and being okay with reducing the weight on the bar in order to really hold the position for the required time.

    I'm over this now and know to start with a lower weight and move up as I feel the tempo in my body and control the movements.

    Working like this has certainly increased my overall load capacity which I've been seeing in some new PRs.

    Thanks Coach Darci!

    ReplyDelete