Featured Post

New website! New blog!

We are excited to launch a new home on the web for Flux School of Human Movement! Check out our new website right here  (same URL as befor...

Monday, November 22, 2010

ANOTHER NOTE ON INTENSITY

You may have noticed that I have started to include different rep schemes in the met con portion of the workout. I have been doing this ad hoc for sometime but I am going to make it more systematic. One of the most salient elements I learned from OPT's course was that REPS are king. What does this mean? When I design the metabolic portion of the workout the first thing I think about is the rep scheme. Reps (along with weight) determine the energy system that will be used by the body. Every body is different. A truism yes, but it bears repeating. Different athletes will use different energy systems based on their abilities to get the work done.

Let's use today's met con as an example.
3 rounds for time
150-250 meter row
15-25 air squats
7-15 ring push-ups

Today's workout is designed to utilize the anaerobic glycolytic as well as the aerobic energy system, but because every body is different one rep scheme will elicit several different responses. Rep schemes, therefore, become one way of controlling the workout, and ensuring each workout is eliciting the response that I want. I will use the differences between Charity and Cory and the above workout to illustrate how reps are one way to control the intent of the workout. Charity and Cory are both strong rowers so I would suggest both of them row for 250 meters and same thing with the air squats. The ring push-ups however, require different reps for each of them. Cory can probably come close to doing all 15 reps in a row for each round. Charity, on the other hand, would probably do 6-8 reps, then have to take a break, then maybe knock out 4-5, and then another 2 reps. Charity would take at least 3 sets for Cory's one to complete 15 perfect reps. See how this changes the outcome? Cory is clearly working at the anaerobic glycolytic and aerobic level whereas Charity's workout now becomes more strength or CP based (Creatine Phosphate) and anaerobic glycolytic in its design. This difference is fine if that is my intent. Indeed, I could have one workout utilizing three different energy systems; but, if my purpose is to tap into the aerobic and glycolytic anaerobic energy systems, then I need to vary the reps. This variation becomes more pronounced between a raw beginner and a more seasoned athlete who is unable to knock out 25 air squats in a row.

2 comments:

  1. Gotta say I do miss your workouts. The crossfit gym and trainers out here in St. Catharines are good and I like the emphasis Mark puts on the olympic lifting portions and that we can swear without worrying who's around, but there was and is something special about your gym, Darci and Charity. Miss everyone. Can't believe it's snowing there. It's mild and nice out here. Thanks for the nuts for the drive home and tell everyone I know there I say hi. Will be in touch. Take care.
    Leonard Greschuk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Darci,

    I liked your post on intensity. It helps us understand why the workouts are set up the way they are. The sets, reps, rests,etc are not just randomly picked , your programming is very detailed and we are lucky that you program that specifically.

    And Hi Leonard !

    -Mieka

    ReplyDelete