Featured Post

New website! New blog!

We are excited to launch a new home on the web for Flux School of Human Movement! Check out our new website right here  (same URL as befor...

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

DAY 3 WITH PIERRE

I AM NOW FINISHED 3 DAYS OF TRAINING UNDER PIERRE, THAT IS ABOUT 24 HOURS OF LIFTING. NO SUPPLEMENTARY MOVEMENTS, JUST FRONT SQUAT, SNATCH AND CLEAN AND JERK. OH, AND SOME TIME ON THE BLOCKS TO PRACTICE MY SNATCH.

Got a PR on my front squat today of 158 lbs, which I am pleased with. Mostly I am happy because even at that weight I kept my elbows up. I have learned just how important it is on the front squat to shift the hips forward to get under the bar. I mean really forward. My PR came at the end of the third training session of the day. Go figure - a PR after 7 hours of training.

I am starting to get more and more comfortable with the lifts. One of Pierre's most effective coaching techniques are the simple cues that he gives. Here is an example for the snatch: "slingshot the bar once it gets to your knees." You will see in these videos that the kids really do use their bodies as a 'slingshot' to hurl the bar behind them.

I have included a couple videos of some of Pierre's athletes. Nico just turned 18. His snatch PR is 85 kg (187 lbs)and he weighs 67 kg (147lbs). He and Pierre have their eyes on Junior Worlds.

Nancy just turned 17 years old. She is also looking to Worlds. Her 1RM in the snatch is 55 kg (121 lbs).



7 comments:

  1. Yeah, Darci!!! You look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I have improved, but compared to those kids...They are so FAST! I really like the morning sessions because it is often just me and a bunch of young kids. They are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much closer can you get your butt to your body? It's pretty close already :p

    Sure I noticed a speed difference but you seemed to explode quick enough. The amount of work you're having to do is insane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Darci!

    I totally see what you mean by the "slingshot the bar cue". And yes, I do see a difference in your form. Nice work!

    Charity

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched that 5 times and I still can't figure out what's going on. You look explosive and I'm not sure your butt can get any closer to the bar without some cirque du soleil action. It looks amazing.

    Good job Darci. I'm excited and terrified of what will come of this back at Flux. Also, I'm extremely jealous. Have an awesome time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good work Darci! You look awesome in the video! Have fun for the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey!! Wow the difference from your 1st to 2nd rep there with just a couple of cues was amazing, you flowed so nice!!! You look a lot more confident with the snatch from when you left, wow 3 days, AMAZING!!!! Keep it up!! Can't wait to see you when you get home!!!!!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete