Featured Post

New website! New blog!

We are excited to launch a new home on the web for Flux School of Human Movement! Check out our new website right here  (same URL as befor...

Monday, April 26, 2010

Exciting Announcements





I have two new flux CrossFit initiatives to share with you: flux is going into the cattle industry and flux is going to start growing vegetables.

My father had the awesome idea of flux CrossFit raising steers for our own meat consumption. My family has enough pasture to sustain approximately 6 steers. We would buy the steers fairly soon, take them out to the pasture where they get to graze on grass and then in the fall we would butcher them. The flux steers would be completely grass fed! My father would ensure they have water but other than that there would not be much work to do.

Way back in the dead of winter Theresa asked me if I wanted to grow a vegetable garden with her. We decided to grow this garden at the front of the house. But after my dad had the idea of the flux steers it makes sense to make the garden a collective flux effort. Theresa and I would be in charge of the up-front costs of seeds and composted manure. Theresa is buying the seeds and plants and I am taking care of the manure. After that it would become a collective effort. Folks who sign on would have to put in a certain number of hours of labour and everyone would pay a flat rate. The biggest part of the project will be to remove the sod followed by working in the composted manure. I am going to take out a bunch of the perennials in the front to make more room for vegetables. For those of us who do not have much gardening experience this would be a good opportunity to get some experience under our belt. Maybe next year we could extend the project to include other flux member's lawns.

A secondary part of the project could be to can, dehydrate and freeze our vegetables for the winter. I know Rochelle and Erin are planning something for this fall.

These two initiatives are really in line with the flux CrossFit spirit of training for fitness, health and longevity. Both projects enable us to connect with the natural world and take responsibility and control over the food we eat.

If you are interested in either project, please comment here.

Darci


8 comments:

  1. This is fantastic!! I love this idea! Philip and I have been talking about learning how to can and preserve vegetables for some time now...we're definitely in!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow how awesome is that!!! I am very excited and say yes to both. Sign me up for any assistance that is needed..I'm there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sound really great. I'm on the fence right now deciding if I will go for a plot at the Cathedral community garden or not. I'm trying to decide if I have the energy/time to devote to it.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be interested in the vegetable gardening. Joan Baldwin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic, I'm in for both! I also have a very nice sized back yard that has been somewhat dedicated to a vegetable garden and I've got a large greenhouse :) I've never really been serious about the veggies I've grown, more for just amusement, but please consider my space available for this year or next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm also in for both. I don't have any yard space to offer up and I don't have any experience to bring to the group...but will work hard to help make it a success!

    These are great initiatives. Thanks for your energy and dedication!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great ideas!! I too am in for both ventures... i think our Fluxerite Colony is going to be very successful!!! ... now if we could only figure out a way to raise chickens in the back alley we would be almost self sufficient!

    ReplyDelete