Featured Post

New website! New blog!

We are excited to launch a new home on the web for Flux School of Human Movement! Check out our new website right here  (same URL as befor...

Friday, February 17, 2012

Some Thoughts on Work Capacity


Work Capacity versus movement.

At our movement camp in Israel Ido gave a short lecture on the differences between work capacity and movement. Work capacity is a popular CrossFit term and it is used to judge how "fit" you are. If you are capable of more work than the person beside you then you are 'fitter' than he or she is. In some moments, I really like the work capacity model but when it comes to movement and movement complexity it is misleading to conceive of fitness in such a narrow manner.

Let me give you an example, I know many folks that can kick my butt at Fran, but does that mean they are fitter than me? Suppleness of the spine is so important (hence all of our work on rotations into low bridges, bridge push-ups, wall bridges), as is wrist strength and general straight arm scapular strength. The number one priority should be to move with ease and not be encumbered by pain. The second priority should be movement complexity. A quick example would be the muscle up. Why do 30 muscle ups for time, with kips so big the athlete is practically in the next room, when that athlete could take the time to learn static muscle-ups or Bulgarian muscle-ups? Progressing to a more complex level has more neurological and strength benefits than simply increasing the volume of the same old movement.

Handbalancing or handstands, rotations and twisting of the spine, wrist mobility and strength, etc. This is really not a very remarkable list - any child can do the above movements and without the self-reflexivity! But, when adults take up movement complexity, that self-reflexivity becomes quite important, mostly because the adult quickly realizes how limited he or she is with their movement options.

By focusing on movement as well as work capacity, we have many, many more movement choices available to us. Fitness is so much more than breathing heavily and lifting big weights. Don't get me wrong, strength and cardiovascular respiratory health are extremely important, but mobility and stability are the building blocks of physical movement.

3 comments:

  1. I agree. It is interesting because when I started at flux I would have leaned more towards the definition of fitness measured as work capacity as pretty definitive of good health/longevity. But a person can have a high work capacity and not be able to hold a straight arm support hold on the rings... wha?? that doesn't seem right at all, something is being missed.. I love that we work on movement complexity (I also hate it because I find it really hard).. But I do really feel that in the long run improving spinal mobility, wrist and straight arm strength and working complex movement skills is going to set me up for a much longer and healther life.... Plus I will be able to do cool things, like walkovers and 1 minute handstand holds and ring things... :)

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this post!!! This mobility/gymnastics/movement part of fitness has been something that's eluded me, but now that I am a part of it, I feel vital and much more graceful than I used to be.

    It even extends into everyday life, which is very cool, because my Fran time really doesn't make a difference if I'm clumsy and falling everywhere, or even too tight and I become injured. Muscle injuries are so prevalent in the patient care field, it's nice to be able to be flexible and strong enough to help my patients move and transfer.

    I think I used a lot of run-on sentences there, but hopefully you get my jist.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete