Featured Post

New website! New blog!

We are excited to launch a new home on the web for Flux School of Human Movement! Check out our new website right here  (same URL as befor...

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Athlete Profile - Debbi McCaig

Debbi McCaig truly embodies the CrossFit spirit. Every workout is pure intensity and she drives herself to improve her weaknesses.

Debbi in January 2010













Debbi in March 2010
















How long have you been a member of flux CrossFit?

My first workout at flux Crossfit was on June 30, 2009. I signed up on the spot (well…in between desperate gasps for breath)!

How often do you train at flux CrossFit?

I always target 4 – 5 times per week. Some weeks, it’s down to 3, but I always feel my best when it’s 5.

What is your favourite lift?

Deadlift!!

What is your least favourite lift?

I think it’s the snatch.

What is your proudest accomplishment at flux CrossFit?

It’s really hard to pick just one. I’ve had a few that I’m really proud of. But, the moment that made me really happy was when I deadlifted over 200 lbs for the first time. Every time I PR, or take a few seconds of my time for a WOD, I feel like I accomplished something worth celebrating.

What are your goals at flux CrossFit?

I REALLY want to have a good squat!! After that, then I’ll focus on gymnastic skills.

Is there anything you have learned about yourself since you started to train at flux CrossFit?

I’ve learned so many things about myself at flux CrossFit; but I think the most important things is that any limits I think I have are all in my head. Physically, I’m accomplishing things that I never thought possible. Instead of accepting those limits, I challenge them. That approach is more apparent in everything that I do. I’m challenging how I eat (and love the Paleo Challenge), I challenge how I approach my work, and in my personal life I look for opportunities to challenge how I approach “life” in general. There aren’t limits anymore; only opportunities to grow and change.

What is your athletic background?

I’ve been fortunate to have lived an active life. I’ve been involved in softball and slo-pitch, racquet ball, Tae-Kwon-Do, swimming, speed skating, and soccer. I’ve also had gym memberships for a very long time so have done a variety of fitness classes, cardio machines, and weighlifting over the years.

Waxing philosophical on CrossFit.

Possibilities. That’s what CrossFit really represents to me. It’s possible to accomplish fantastic (and fun) athletic feats no matter your age or level of fitness. Each workout and each day holds a new set of possibilities, a new set of challenges, and new opportunities to accomplish feats that I never thought possible.

6 comments:

  1. Way to go Debbi! It's a fantastic journey, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock Debbi - and are looking fantastic! Way to go!

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when I get to work out with you, because you push me hard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll miss working out with you Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...awesome work Deb...."Your Flux Family is so proud of you." I think you look great--but the picture is not very clear--so can't wait to see you in person so i can clearly see your accomplishments and congratulate you.....way to go Deb!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too aim to hit the gym when Deb is there...I see her determination and it makes me want to push just a bit harder. On Wed we both murdered our previous WOD time, thanks Deb! And she fun as hell to hang with:)

    ReplyDelete