Featured Post

New website! New blog!

We are excited to launch a new home on the web for Flux School of Human Movement! Check out our new website right here  (same URL as befor...

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The History of Bulgarian Weightlifting

Check out this article on the history of weightlifting in Bulgaria. It all began with Coach Ivan Abadjiev. Abadjiev is responsible for the superior weightlifting that has come out of Bulgaria. Abadjiev trained Alexander Varbanov who in turn trained Pierre Auge - a very fascinating history to say the least.

http://www.josephcoyne.com/_blog/Expert_Health_and_Training_Advice_From_Joseph_Coyne_AEP/post/Ivan_Abadjiev_and_Bulgarian_Weightlifting/

A pet peeve of mine regarding the Bulgarian method - naysayers often dismiss the Bulgarian's accomplishments with weightlifting as a result of steroid use. Hah! North Americans are not immune to steroid use in sport and that certainly includes weightlifting. And that's all I have to say on that subject.

3 comments:

  1. If you get this fellow to come to flux sign me up. Is this type of training what you had to go through with Pierre? Can you apply this training to relatively untrained athletes or is it meant for the upper echelon? I'm kind of digging working at near my max and very curious to see where this will take me a few months down tje road. Obviously we mix in standard crossfit training but working above 90% is new to me

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Kurt,
    We are hoping to have Pierre out to Flux in Sept/Oct. All of Pierre's athletes train this way, the elite and the average athlete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am enjoying the maximal effort squatting as well. I wasn't sure how I would like it but I like seeing where I am at every day and then doing just a few sets at a high load.. I thought I might get really fatiqued/sore and discouraged with it but that has not been the case, I am really enoying it!!!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete