Featured Post

New website! New blog!

We are excited to launch a new home on the web for Flux School of Human Movement! Check out our new website right here  (same URL as befor...

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Locavore/paleo/primal feast of gratitude Oct 17


I believe that the key to ethical and healthy eating is gratitude. Supermarkets are not arranged to inspire gratitude in the consumer but rather tend to generate a sense of entitlement and indifference. Westerners tend to be very far removed from the food they eat with little awareness of the time, knowledge and effort that go into either hunting and gathering or animal husbandry practices that do not follow the industrial model of CAFOs (concentrated animal feeding operations).

Flux CrossFit is going to hold a feast of gratitude. This will be in the tradition of folk culture and the celebration of the abundance of harvest. We will celebrate the simplicity of food in its finest and purist form. To also gain awareness of the ethics of eating meat and dairy products we will make a concerted effort to buy local products that meet some ethical and political standards. These standards are not set in stone and you will have to decide for yourself what your ethical/moral barometer is. Gratitude, perhaps even an awe for nature, develop when we take the time to ask questions about the source of our food.

Charity and I will be hosting this feast. We will be serving moose that was given to us by a friend. Please come any time after 6pm. We will eat at 7pm. Please respond on the blog if you will attend. Friends and family are most welcome. Each fluxer will be responsible for preparing some sort of food.
Please comment on the blog about your experiences preparing for the feast. What difficulties did you face? Did your relationship with the supermarket change at all?


-Darci

17 comments:

  1. Just remember the moose does not give a shit whether you are gratefull, enjoy the taste of the meat, or if you left him in the bush for the coyotes and turkey vultures to eat he is just dead and would just as soon you left him alone. By the way this is Verne speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to clarify I was only speaking for the moose. As a human i don't believe in feedlots and unnatural food production. i am using Darci's site to post a comment because it is just "too hard to do it on my own" Would someone else please comment. Darci is always checking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool. I will be there, I am not sure what I will bring, I will have to think about it (will comment as it goes along)... I am already trying to think what I am going to bring and how I can bring something local... Maybe will ask my mom and see if I can get something from the farm, maybe a soup, like barley vegetable or something (barley not being very paleo but my dad grows it and I like it in soup... so there you go).. Will keep you posted on my progress...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be there! I'm not sure what I'll bring yet, either. As an aside, I came home tonight and discovered that Ricky Ricardo had eaten a whole giant bag of dog treats (yam-wrapped duck or something). I wonder if he thought about where his food came from as he ate it...I doubt it, ungrateful little bugger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. if anyone needs local ingredients, send me an email (bassish@gmail.com) cause we're almost (we could never totally be) overloaded w veggies right now...i will likely be at the feast if i'm in town, but i'll more likely be out at the farm (gratefully gorging myself on my parents' many squashes)...

    (ps. i'm really glad this is happening, and i enjoyed the way you wrote the blog about it!)

    (i miss you guys!!! i'll be back soon!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I belive i will be there with some garden carrots and carden dill for flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree 100% with Darci and Verne.... It is really hard to source local meats and produce that is not full of hormones, fat, pesticides and antibiotics. It takes work! I tend to get up on my soap box frequently to be shot down by friends and family.... "It is too much work".... "I am not that concerned".... "I can't afford it"... I am quite proud to say that I practice what I preach. When it comes to affordability.... how can you afford not to?

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeaYqU2SSJE

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll try to make it! Though I do work late that night.
    I really want to try this "moose" creature you speak of.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am also going to make a bruschetta. Leona gave me fresh basil from her hydroponic set-up and I have tons of tomatoes from friends. I have no idea where the garlic from Safeway comes from. Anyone know?

    Olive oil - I usually just buy it from Safeway.

    Does anyone know of a Saskatchewan cheese maker? You can buy organic cheese at Eat Healthy Food and Nature's Best but it comes from Quebec.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I am going to make a beef barley soup (possibly), I have never done it before so I don't know if it will turn out. I do have veg from the farm, and I was hoping to use some barley but was informed by my dad that the barley we grow is not what you use in soups (it would be pearl barley so I may have to buy it)... Will look about tomorrow and see if I can find something SK grown.. And my beef will probably not be homegrown. I prob could have gotten some from my cousin (as they raise their own cattle and eat it) but I didn't have enough time or forsight to organize it... So that is where I am. Basically, I didn't bother shopping to find local, I just tapped locals...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jane,

    If you are looking for local beef Nature's Best and Eat Healthy Food are a good start. Of course, you are right that buying it direct from the farmer would be better but it does require a bit more time. I love beef barley soup!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jane, I have a freezer full of Saskatchewan beef and bison. Tap me...haha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay for friends you can't make plans properly (as I can now come to the feast!)

    My wife and I will make bread - lots and lots of homemade bread.

    See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. o.k. I just dug up some potates and now i am going to milk my cow to make some sour cream and cheese--i will be bringing some authentic Polish potatoe/cheese perogies tonight...time is running out--gotta go

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm bringing BEETS... I <3 beets. Actually it's just one beet. I'm bringing BEET.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm bringing McCain pizza pops.

    ReplyDelete