Featured Post

New website! New blog!

We are excited to launch a new home on the web for Flux School of Human Movement! Check out our new website right here  (same URL as befor...

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A great website

I really like Dr. Harris' website on the concept of paleolithic nutrition. Note on the right hand side of the home page the links to the archives.


Here is an excerpt from the above link.

"Humans are omnivores that now have a hugely expanded ecological niche through the technology of adapting rot resistant carbohydrate rich seeds that can be stored, milled, ground up cooked and eaten, mechanically planted and fertilised with the aid of petroleum, bred for higher yields, and even genetically engineered. Humans have thrived and expanded to 6 B souls on a finite planet despite the fact that grains are not an optimal food source at the level of the individual. Remember that thegene is the unit of selection. Grains are adaptive at the level of the gene and increasing human poplulation. Your genes do not care if you get coeliac disease, heart disease, diabetes, degenerative arthritis, tooth decay, autoimmune disorders, cancer or alzheimer dementia if by eating grains you were able to avoid famine just long enough to reproduce.

Look beyond the very misleading inter-country and even intracountry observational studies, which you could spend a lifetime trying to parse. Do pay attention to any controlled randomized trial that is well done. Do pay atention to the archaeological record. Do use some inductive reasoning with comparative anatomy, and ground your thinking with the best evidence from clinical and basic sciences like endocrinology and biochemistry. "

2 comments:

  1. I'm predisposed to a way of eating that would have led me to many of the diseases Darci mentions above. My parents are both inactive, obese, and have type 2 diabetes as well as a number of other health issues.

    When I first started with flux, I was so tired all the time that I was going home after the daily WOD and literally falling asleep (sometimes for the night). Some of that was grounded in stress, but much of it was a result of my eating habits. I was also well on my way to celiac disease and type 2 diabetes. Not much of a life!

    I've made a lot of changes in my diet already and the results I've experienced have been astounding. I have way more energy and am able to stay awake much longer in the evenings now. I also know that I'm no longer on the same path my parents have taken.

    I'm so excited about this challenge. I can't wait to see how I feel after a few weeks of Paleo eating and I'm especially excited to see how my CrossFit performance improves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family has some history of diabetes too. I had gestational diabetes with two of my pregnancies. I was able to control it with diet and boy did that ever open my eyes to the affects of food on the body.

    On another note this is what crossfit has done to our home. Today I said to Elianna "You need to stop doing burpees or you will be too tired for dance class!" and Caeden says "She is just doing burpees for the fun of it!". Ummm okay!!

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete