Featured Post

New website! New blog!

We are excited to launch a new home on the web for Flux School of Human Movement! Check out our new website right here  (same URL as befor...

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Write your own narratives and rewrite the myths. - A Note from Coach Darci

A note from Coach Darci:
 
This is a dance piece performed and choreographed by Jozef Fruzek and Linda Kapetanea. Jozef was one of my teacher's at the last Ido Portal movement camp. As a kid I stayed away from gymnastics and dance, partly of my own doing but also because I allowed others to write my narrative for me. You are too tall for gymnastics...You are too gangly for dance. It is silly that we cling to these narratives even as adults, but after working with Ido Portal for several years I slowly shed these insecurities. Now, I love gymnastics of all sorts (the acrobatic elements, the rings) and I love to dance and I find myself craving it more and more. Hopefully, Jozef will be visiting Flux soon and you will all have an opportunity to learn from him. The sad thing is, these gendered narratives that are prescribed to young kids are still being played out. Who is typically drawn to dance? It is mostly thin girls. This is unfortunate because not only are so many other body types missing from the realm of dance, but dance itself suffers too. So often I come across dancers who are not even close to reaching their full potential because they are so weak. They display little hip drive which is essential to the generation of power in the lower body and they often cannot support their own upper body weight. Don't let others tell you or your kids what you should be doing or what you should be good at. I regret that as a scrawny ass 12 year old I felt that the world of gymnastics and dance was somehow off limits to me. Write your own narratives and rewrite the myths.



No comments:

Post a Comment