Featured Post

New website! New blog!

We are excited to launch a new home on the web for Flux School of Human Movement! Check out our new website right here  (same URL as befor...

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Flux Coaching Team - Spotlight #2: Featuring Coach Luke Rossmo

Flux has been one of the most important things to happen in my life. It has afforded me a spring board to dive into the world of movement. Since the beginning of my coaching career the acquisition and application of ‘movement knowledge’ has become a leading focus in my life. What follows is an account of my journey so far.
When I think of movement I think of Odelia Goldschmidt. She is an inspiring mover whom I have had the great privilege of working with on two occasions now. The first time she came we spent about two weeks together moving. Moving in this sense encompasses acrobatics, mobility, gymnastics, floreio and capoeira. The breadth of material was vast and looking back now it seems overwhelming to think of what was covered in our time together. Luckily, Odelia is a gifted teacher. We slowly and methodically unboxed the world of movement. We would always begin with the simplest and most basic progression. This was important because while the basics often seem relatively simple or even easy, this is rarely the case! Further, movement is the sum of different working parts and so to move well and efficiently we must have a strong grasp on each and every part. This lesson has proved valuable to my own practice as well and especially in the way I begin to teach a movement. The progressions, both with strength development (pulling or pushing, etc.) and also with ‘movement’ also always seem to take one to the precipice of current limitations, but the exciting thing is that what you have done thus far is always opening a door to something in the future.

The second time Odelia came to Flux I was even more fortunate. I got to spend 2-3 hours a day in private training with her (alongside Coach Darci and Coach Mieka) and another 2-3 hours in the evening with a larger group of Flux athletes. This went on for two weeks. During this time we added layers to the foundations set in previous sessions and were also subjected to new material. Some highlights of my training include learning to back and front tuck. I was also able to achieve my first high bridge rotation. I estimate that I have spent 150 hours with Odelia and in that time I have learned how to systematically and safely teach different ‘movements' and movement patterns. 

The Bulgarian method of weightlifting is the system that Darci Anderson uses to train her athletes. To understand this system and its benefits Darci sought out the best. Darci has spent several years developing a friendship and mentorship with Coach Alex Varbanov, who holds 10 world records and an Olympic medal in the sport of Olympic Weightlifting. Learning under Coach Alex has been a unique and exciting opportunity. This summer I will travel to Bulgaria for a 2-week training camp supported by the Flux Coaching Education Initiative. We will be training 6-hours a day and on top of that there will be daily lectures on the science behind Olympic Weightlifting.

Another individual I’ve had the great pleasure to learn from is Dr. Andreo (Dre) Spina. Dr. Spina, who works with several Major League Baseball Teams, has developed a system used to acquire and strengthen ranges of motion. I attended his FRC (functional range conditioning) certification and it has proved invaluable.  I continue to spend many hours  bolstering my knowledge of the system and its practical applications.

Charles Poliquin is highly regarded in strength and conditioning circles and I have begun education through the Poliquin International Certification Program. I have completed the level 1 theory and technical components. Each component requires the completion of a test. To complete the first two tests many hours of study were required. Thus far the information has given me a working understanding of how to best select which set, rep, tempo and rest combinations are best for producing desired results. I look forward to completing the practical component next week (February 14) in Rhode Island.

The things that I have mentioned above have very little value if the concepts and movements are not practiced and explored. I get great joy watching and practicing movement. Movement here encompasses everything expressed above. I am so fortunate to be surrounded by like-minded people at Flux. I spend between 6-10 hours being coached and mentored in lifting by Coach Darci Anderson every week. I often spend several other hours a week playing with movement and hand balancing under her guidance. I estimate my time training under Flux Principal Coach and Owner Darci around 400 hours in the past year. This does not include time spent coaching alongside Darci, which adds many more hundreds of hours in my study of the art of coaching.

I also get to play with other coaches at Flux. I spend many hours a month in ‘movement play’ with Coach Mieka, Dallas, Sandi and others. Each coach as an athlete brings a wealth of personal experience, tips, advice, cues and energy. Being part of this experienced Flux team that thrives from the exploration of movement, ideas, and play is an incredible experience.  Having so much feedback and the opportunity to explore movement has been integral to my personal coaching career. 

I am eager to continue on this journey of knowledge, exploration and play at Flux - School of Human Movement!



3 comments:

  1. You're a good coach Luke! Great video!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Don - Luke is a great coach - passionate and patient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is interesting to read your bio,Luke. I knew you were good, but this really confirms your commitment to coaching us. You are patient, kind and have a great sense of humor - traits that are all beneficial when you spend so many hours a day helping us out. Thanks for your dedication and support - you are a wonderful coach.

    ReplyDelete