Featured Post

New website! New blog!

We are excited to launch a new home on the web for Flux School of Human Movement! Check out our new website right here  (same URL as befor...

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Oh Those Russians!!!




The history of the kettlebell goes back about two hundred years to Russia. The Russians still use the kettlebell in military training and kettlebells are considered a competitive sport there. A 'girivik' is a person who uses kettlebells.  The Russian standard for the kettlebell swing is to bring the kettlebell to just above the shoulders. Cold war politics--which always influence culture and sport--generated the emergence of the 'American' style swing. With the American swing the kettlebell goes all the way above the head. What a dilemma!! Do we follow the stern, post-communist Russians or the free-wheeling, democratic Americans?  Recognizing that all athletic techniques have a history beyond the present, we shall follow the CrossFit standard, which is above the head. 




4 comments:

  1. I must say from doing the Russian style for over a year and now switching to the American style. I find the Russian style more intense the swing up and down is more “active” I feel like I am using more muscles and having to push the kettlebell down hard from the middle of my body. With the American style it takes longer the intensity is down because of the rest above my head and gravity takes care of it from my head back down the floor. I no longer have to push to stop the kettlebell and continue to push the kettlebell back down from the center of my body. In my opinion the Russian style is superior but as per the Crossfit standards I will switch my ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though i'm not a real person anymore, when i think about the physics behind it in my imagination I agree with what rochelle is saying... but since I am the epitome of the Prodigal Fluxer I won't really know until i do it in practice... which will be in October.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if anyone at Flux will be big fans of the American style of kettlebell swing after doing the Russian. I find the intensity is so much higher with the Russian style. I notice with the Russian swing I am really forceful with my breathing, I sharply exhale as I extend my hips and when the kb is just above shoulders. The American style swing doesn't make me do this, bringing it up above my head makes my hip extension not as forceful and doesn't cause that huh feeling at the end of my drive up. I am thinking for the Competition in Saskatoon I will switch to the Crossfit Standard but then I am going back (assuming that is OK?)... Don't like the American sytle, not at all.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I for one am finding I have to drive the hips harder to get the kettlebell higher.

    ReplyDelete